Wednesday 5 November 2008

Organising tune learning

I want to find a better way to organise what tunes I already know, what tunes I'm learning, and what tunes I want to learn. I don't have any system at present other than pieces of paper in folders, cds and sound files and the occasional list. I also want to organise my tunes such that they are easy to put into sets and so then play out (great practise - perhaps the best practise).

My score is already split into country and then vague tune type - the Irish tunes most of all. That has: old harp tunes, dance tunes that I've been taught by harpers, airs, dance tunes in general, songs. I'm collecting more and more dance tunes so I think I need a new way to separate these out. The obvious thing to do is to split them into rhythms - jigs, reels, hornpipes, etc... That's certainly ok for archival purposes, but doesn't solve the ongoing tune management.

Mmm back to the drawing board... maybe a list stuck on the wall? Can you tell organisation isn't my strong point...!

No comments: