Sunday 9 November 2008

Folk music research - new routes

What did I say? That I was looking for new routes to explore music. And look what has turned up: randomly following links I came across Lori Watson (www.loriwatson.co.uk) and the phd she is currently working on - Contemporary Innovation and Scottish Traditional Music (working title) (introduction online here).

This is a really interesting read for any performer wanting to tread the lines between supporting and conserving the tradition, meanwhile making their own headway with new material and approaches.

Lori also referenced other folk music researchers...

Nigel Gatherer (www.nigelgatherer.com) and his brief but very informative article on session etiquette (online here). I can vouch from personal experience that very similar things happen in the south of England as well.

Philip Bohlman and his article Continually Reshaping The Present: New Traditional Tunes In Scotland, published 1988. If you know where I can get a copy please leave me a comment.

Fintan Vallely, 1999: 345 http://homepage.eircom.net/~imusic/


Other people I may look up:
Folk music studies (Professor Allan Moore) at University of Surrey

Other sources I will probably use:

I just came across another trad music blog for future research:
http://myblogs.sunderland.ac.uk/blogs/newenglishfolk/

No comments: