Tuesday 4 November 2008

English vs Irish styles part 1

There's so much to think about for this... there will be differences at various layers of the music. I'm going to analyse what I hear and try to take it apart. I hope that through making conscious observations I can target my attention more closely on different features. At the same time I just have to listen and listen and listen again - I will not get an instinctive ability with the different through conscious listening. It is an unconscious skill I am building.

Things that I know are different between Irish & English:
  • numbers of notes within a tune
  • length of phrases
  • phrases even or irregular?
  • jerky or flowing
  • common modes and chords used
  • rhythmic patterns - more on this below
  • ornamentation
  • mood evoked or energy summoned up
Things that are different just within the rhythm aspect:
  • speed
  • different rhythmic patterns (best thought of grouped in dances)
  • "swing"
  • placement of emphasis within beat - to the back or the front?
  • does the rhythm sit back or push forward?
  • how a tune grooves

Even now I am sure that I will remember and summon up a particular set of rhythmic patterns most easily through recalling emotive ideas - that particular rhythmic pattern will evoke this emotional response best remembered via this image. Oh the complexity of finding language tags for memories that have no words...

No comments: