Saturday 1 November 2008

Being a musician... with a deformed hand

I hadn't planned to mention this on my blog, but I realised that I couldn't write anymore without mentioning my hand.

I was born with a deformed right hand (giant middle finger and deformed ring finger) and have had several operations for corrective surgery. I rarely draw attention to it, certainly never when I'm performing. I want any audience to listen to me and judge me on how I play and sing, not what my hands are like.

In general I just get on with life and don't pay much attention to having different hands. In terms of musicianship I don't think it matters: I just have a different tool kit. As long as I can get what I want from that toolkit, then it's ok. Music is pretty forgiving of disability - it's all about what you can bring to the sound and what you do with what you've got.

I am more conscious of my hand more when I'm teaching because I am demonstrating. That said once I know a pupil it doesn't matter, we just get on with communicating. As I have one hand that functions normally that is my model for others. I've learnt to play twice, once RH melody, once LH melody (I play LH melody, in trad harp that has 60-80% of the work).

Sometimes doing a job which is so dependant on my (deformed) hands still strikes me low. I don't know any other disabled musicians personally, though they clearly exist. I feel it odd that my vocation is at such odds with my body but then I remember that there are also disabled athletes and dancers and I feel much better.

Future Link - musicians with disabilities
CandoCo Dance Company - is a contemporary dance company of disabled and non-disabled dancers.

No comments: