Thursday 2 October 2008

Practise

The current practise plan:

lots of tune learning by ear, but using my memory and voice to check if I've memorised it
lots of very slow, gentle technique practise
a little bit of tune practise (so I don't go nuts)

I'm not someone who is naturally relaxed, so my main aim with the physical practise is to build in relaxation after every movement. This means slow practise - the slower you practise, the easier it is for your mind to learn how to use your hands more efficiently and prevent / correct mistakes as you go. As the body learns through repetition, getting it right the first time is very helpful.

This slowness doesn't mean moving as if through treacle, but allowing gaps between each movement (place or pluck) for yourself to relax, sense and process the physical feedback. I'm not brilliant at sensing my body either so taking the time to listen to which muscles I am using is pretty important. I'm doing it now as I type: legs relaxed, back and upper body working, neck working, right arm relaxed, left upper arm holding position, left forearm muscles operating each key stroke.

For figuring out your technique, I think there's nothing to beat slow, repetitive, careful sensing work. The best thing to motivate that work is get fascinated by how your body feels when still, calm and relaxed...

No comments: