Wednesday 22 October 2008

The bigger picture

I've been stuck at home for the past two weeks and have been doing a lot of thinking. A chunk of time off is always a blessing and a curse - it makes me question what I am aiming for (good) but until I find the answers I'm pretty anxious (difficult).

I've been passionate about music for as long as I can remember. For various reasons sorting out a career has been a difficult process though I remain determined. However as I'm getting older my priorities are shifting. Just playing music is not enough - while I remain completely nuts about the stuff and it is vitally important to me that I go somewhere amazing with my playing, I want to use my skills to change the world around me too. It doesn't matter how good your performances are - a gig is only ever a gig.

At heart I am a folkie for two reasons -
  • the aural method suits me well and music to me has always been movement in sound
  • folk music has such a community / cross generational element to it

It is this second point that I am thinking on now. There is a capacity for all music to help develop communities and friendship groups. These are the structures that sustain people through difficult times. However you find it, wherever you find it, your support network is vital.

The folk community thrives and those within it are happy and healthy. Old and young mix and are supported by each other. The social dances provide community meeting spaces, safe spaces. The dances and sessions themselves provide human contact in a brilliant way, well balanced. Music and dance provides a reason for us to enjoy each other, a way in to share our lives.

So my questions are... what does the folk scene provide that makes it so supportive? What in this do I think is important? How do I want to use it?

No comments: