Friday 17 October 2008

Mouth music / diddling in English

I'm really interested in singing tunes for dancing. You find this in Scots, Irish and Breton folk traditions but not English so much. Diddling is something I really enjoy doing so I'm going on a hunt for any tune singing links I can find in English repertoire.

So far I've come across a couple of possible links. I had one book recommended - Wit and Mirth: Or Pills to Purge Melancholy by Thomas D'Urfey. The book was initially published by Henry Playford (son of John Playford who published the English Dancing Master). I understand that some of the songs were based on dance tunes of the time.

The second possibility is John Gay's Beggar's Opera of which I have a facsimile as part of Michael Raven's 1000 English Country Dance Tunes.

Hopefully I can have a look at a copy of Wit and Mirth on Thursday and go from there.

No comments: