Friday 23 July 2010

Study into how the brain adapts post-amputation

The Nuffield Trust's Oxford Centre for Enablement (OCE) and Researchers at the University of Oxford are involved in a major study which it is hoped will shed new light on how the brain adapts following hand amputation. Key people - Dr Tamar Makin and Dr David Henderson Slater.

I'm fascinated by this as I've had to relearn how to function many times. I've gradually acquired the perception that unless you can easily tangibly do something, at least for a while, you don't really develop an intuitive way of thinking about the thing you could do with it. This really changed my view point of musicianship - did funny things to it. I think I've got round it by playing all sorts of instruments with right and left hand - built up a picture of the lands beyond my limitations by shifting where the limitations are placed.

The study:
http://www.noc.nhs.uk/aboutus/news/article.aspx?id=190

No comments: