Wednesday 28 July 2010

Library trip 1: mouth music & spiro

This week's library cds (from Oxfordshire County Library):

Spiro - Lightbox (just because I saw it)

THERE IS A MAN UPON THE FARM - Working Men & Women In Song
RANTING & REELING - Dance Music of the North of England
YOU LAZY LOT OF BONE SHAKERS - Songs & Dance Tunes of Seasonal Events
TROUBLES THEY ARE BUT FEW - Dance Tunes & Ditties
- all from the Voice of the People Series out on Topic records

I was hunting mouth music, dancing songs and diddling. I lightly checked through each and the closest I found to what I wanted was Phil Tanner on Troubles they are but few, diddling very finely his four-hand reel.

I am going to have to look at these again and read the liner notes very carefully. I think I need to set aside a couple of hours to do this, maybe in the library. Must find out if they have listening facilities there or if I can take a CD player in. Troubles also referenced another couple of CDs in the series: Rig-a-jig-jig, which I've heard and Irish Dance Music, which I've not.

Spiro sounds like folkie Phillip Glass to me, but more melodically driven. Really didn't think I would get into it and then bang, I did. Hurray.

Other things on my mouth music hunt - I want to find out more from Jigjaw, and I want to go to C#s. I need to know what I'm looking for first...

No comments: