Wednesday 27 May 2009

Being able to play - what a relief

Gradually as time goes on I can play more as I want to - it's like the overwhelming drive is to be able to express myself within music through music, to be able to hear something in my mind and produce it through my hands. It's bizarre - I am not me if I cannot make music happen. What a bizarre need - why should shaping sound matter so much? Anyway it does. After just over two years of relearning to play harp from scratch to accomodate my right hand music is really becoming fun again.

I can improvise and think with the harp again. It's magic, like mercury flowing, all connected up. I can sense my links when I watch other players - now I can perform those movements at a similar speed I can feel them when I watch others players. That's very beautiful.

My sense of rhythm while playing has also improved massively. That really is a relief. This time last year I could not play a dance tune to speed to my satisfaction. Now there are some that I can and it doesn't take forever to get new ones to that point. Recently I even got my first freebie - when you suddenly can play a tune that you've never consciously practised, your fingers just know what to do. Magic.

1 comment:

Graham Lee said...

I had that "freebie tune" moment a couple of months back, in fact I had to find Joe and play him the tune to work out what it was. If only there were some website we could use to find folk tunes given the notes!

Anyway, it turned out to be The Sloe.