Friday 19 March 2010

Learning about arrangement

I've twigged I want to know more about arrangement, specifically with harps, but also any music where it's devised by ear. I could pick a few tracks and analyse them exactly, but I don't think that's going to very helpful. The stuff that would ping out first is the stuff I already know, and that's not the stuff I want. Also a lot of what is played on harps is very simple but somehow something in the way it is played makes it magic - to analyse the notes misses the point.

Instead I'm going to listen and try and pick out the kinds of things that change - ideas, features, as and when they turn up, giving my attention to anything that catches my ear. It's going to get collated and updated here. My plan is to allow what I really like experiencing within music to ping out to me and let that feed back into what I create.

No comments: