Friday 5 February 2010

Folk versus classical - top down versus bottom up

With classical music my experience has been that you learn a new piece from the bottom up - ensuring each tiny section is very secure before moving on. With trad I've often found the tune enters your ear first, and then you attempt to make it happen. Each time you try to make it happen is slightly imperfect in a different way - the imperfections become an important part of the music.

Now I do also work make my way through each tiny movement slowly but given the improvisatory nature (the ornaments should always be improvised) then you're always reaching for something that's not quite secure.

I had an excellent conversation with a conductor recently. I asked if he improvised, he said "of coruse". Not improvisation as I know it (change of pitch and duration content) but improvisation with guiding a group - maybe this time that section will shine, or this soloist needs a little support ...etc. Each time he performs a piece it comes out differently. I never expected that of classical music... good to have my assumptions shattered.

No comments: